People of good character, it is time to ask for MORE.
The pillars of MORE
Morality: That there is a difference between right and wrong: Suffering should be reduced and happiness increased.
Reality: That there is a fundamental reality that may be found by open minded people going out and looking at what is actually happening, or better yet measuring it. Where multiple explanations are reasonable, the simplest is to be preferred, as more complex theories are often self serving or a symptom of inability to throw out bad ideas. We shall not be embarassed to say that we were wrong. We shall not be embarassed to change direction. Honesty is to be considered the highest virtue.
Orgainisation of MORE
- Not much.
- No secrets. Every juicy debate is out in the open on the web. No private deals. No hidden donations.
- You can be a member of other political parties as well as a member of MORE (if they let you ;-) ).
- Though MORE exists within and supports democracy, MORE is not itself a democracy.
- We love our schismatics. If you don't like how MORE is run, fork. Start your own party. In fact, we'll give you space on our server to do it. Feel free to copy our organisation and policies (well, the ones you like). If you do a better job, everyone will join. Yes, this is like open source.
- Fast decision making. A small council of trusted people given carte blanche to make decisions on the fly. For really big stuff, Apache style voting. (council should be about the square root of the size of the membership?)
- Membership requires an ok from someone who is a member already. Members (in the unlikely event that it becomes necessary) can be summarily given the boot by anyone on the council.
- In fact anyone can be given a summary booting (council members require an Apache vote). Positions of power are not rewards, they do not command respect. Where possible, hierarchy is to be avoided.
- The MORE website will be a wiki editable by all members. Non-members will also be able to comment. Members will also be encouraged to blog.
- All decisions are made on-line. Any meeting of members is purely social.
- Archaic language. Let's pretend the broadcast era never happened, and use language as if it had never played second fiddle to images. Strunk & White and all that. Character, not personality. Students, not customers. People, not consumers. "You blithering lying cheating scoundrel, I'll not be abiding such nonsense," not "while I respect your views I disagree".